- 0.91 Object transmission, intelligent compression of the data
streams, and Voting added
- 0.92 Installer changed to correct permissions on directory for
- 0.93 ini reset to use application directory, fader timer
(FadeTime) added to
ini, fader initial on/off (DefaultFaderOn) added to ini, right button
set to always fade
regardless of fader state, Strikethrough and Underline bugs fixed
- 0.94 Has a number of changes making it not fully compatible with
previous versions and previously saved files. The changes are:
- Straight Diagonal lines were added and mapped to shift
function; Connections were
remapped to shift+CTRL. Previously Shift+CTRL
and Shift+ALT made the shapes symmetric (e.g., circles are symmetric,
ovals are not). This can still be done, the shift key now acts as
a toggle while the mouse button is held down (if the shift is down, the
shape will be symmetric). The "trick" is to use the shift key
after the left mouse button has been pressed.
- Vote label resets to 0% when the vote is "reset" on host,
no longer changes.
- Previously, all pen strokes pasted out were offset by +5,
useful to locate and move them on the same page - but darn annoying
when pasted to other pages. Now, the paste-offset only occurs
when pasting to the same page.
- Plain and HTML Text pasting was added. By
default, NetPen's current font, size and style are used.
- A warning message was added (rather than crashing) if copying
from the clipboard exhausted memory.
- Compression was added to large transmissions and the
Transmission Dialog now provides a close estimate rather than the exact
- Some users were experiencing excessive connection failures,
fixing this required a change to how objects are serialized which is
why 0.94 isn't guaranteed to be backward compatible with other versions
or with .pen files produced from earlier versions.
- "Multiple Choice" was added to text fields. Any line of
text that begins with a CTRL+Space will display a square box next to it.
- Fixed a bug caused by pressing the alt key (it shifted focus
away from the drawing area to the menubar as per standard OS mnemonics)
Unfortunately, it also meant the next mouse press went to the menubar,
causing NetPen to miss the next mouse down event and have odd drawing
- 0.95 adds the Test ability (see the documentation
for more information) and corrects these bugs:
- Corrected a bug in the open/load/import logic to correctly
transmit the changes to remote nodes. Any client or host can now
open, load, or import to the session. Note that since "Open" does
a clear, only the host can do an "Open", remote clients attempting to
do an "Open" get the "Load" behavior.
- Corrected a bug where clicking on a pre-existing object after
first opening .pen file caused the
object size to go to zero
- Fixed was added as an
attribute to pen strokes, this prevents
the penstroke from being modified in any way (it can only be copied)
and is used for the page 0 icons and tests.
- The eraser erasing pen stokes on other pages was fixed.
- The "show messages" diagnostic was eliminated from the
Connection Dialog. Clicking in the dialog frame now toggles that
behavior (eventually this will go away completely).
- An Email address field was added to the Connection Dialog and
the .ini file. The email field is now appended as a document
property and is also used on Test pages to simply returning graded
tests (see Testing).
- Objects can now span multiple pages, works with the Test
functionality and isn't directly accessible.
- Diagnostics were removed from the error log file.
- Users that have outlook are presented with the option of
emailing errors back for analysis.
- Properties were added to the .pen
file; however there is not currently a convenient way to access them
and they are primarily used by the testing feature.
0.96 is a bug fix release:
0.97 adds or fixes these items:
- A bug in testing where the system didn't fall back
to the client name if the email address wasn't specified thus causing
incoming data to all go to the same page
- some minor typos were corrected
- Corrected an error while trying to send email if the page
didn't contain an email
- Previously, students making marks to other than page 1 of
testing would be transmitted to their test results. Now, any
marks not on page -1 during a test are not sent.
- If text or an image is in the current selection and copied
CTRL+C); the last selected text or image is also copied into the
clipboard's buffer allowing it to be pasted into other applications.
- Pasting text from Microsoft Word has been worked-around.
Since Word supports text and image for any clipboard operation you
don't really know what's on the
clipboard (it's up to the receiving program to decide what it wants).
NetPen always goes for an image
if it's available so that you get whatever special fonts, colors, or
formatting the other program did for you. The problem with Java
is that the alpha (transparency) bits get lost during this operation -
they become black. So, normal black text on a white background
from Word shows up as black text on a
black background; not of any use at all. NetPen now uses a
detection scheme to see if the image is all black; if the image is all
black NetPen dumps the image and uses text. A word of
warning; the all-black
detection is examining every pixel and therefore slow; so copying more
than a few lines from Word may take a while.
- Text editing was greatly improved. Double-clicking on the
text pops up a dialog where the text can be edited.
- A link to the Google Spell Checker API was added and removed
(Google's API won't handle more than a couple of lines at a
time). It's a shame as the Google Spell checker was very nice and
supported multiple languages.
- The Jazzy
spell checker was added to the new text editing dialog. Incorrect
words are highlighted, to correct the word with a suggested spelling
select the word (double click it), then right click and select from the
list. You can also ignore words or add them to a personal
dictionary. All dictionaries must reside in NetPen's 'lib'
directory. Which dictionary is used can be changed by editing the
dict entry in the .INI
file. The user dictionary must be named user.dict and must exist even if it
is empty. Two dictionaries are currently included, a US (default)
and a UK version. Dictionaries are just lists of words, if you
put one together for your language send it to me and I'll make it
available on this web site. If you find an error in a dictionary
please let me know.
- Simple HTML commands were added for the text editor. To
use them, select the text and click the button. Note that this
will embed the HTML directly into the string - looks ugly in the editor
and the spell checker will complain about it, but it gives you great
control over what you want to see.
- Known Issue - when converting a string to/from normal text
to/from html the text goes down/up the height of one line.